Monday, October 5, 2009

Ox Tail Soup - Gom Gook

I know I know, it's been forever but I finally started cooking at home again! And just in time for fall. This soup will warm your body and your bones. And is so super easy to make. It's actually one of the first Korean dishes that I tried, with my mom giving me the directions over the phone. And it was a success! You just need a pinch of salt, and a dash of patience.

Ingredients:
- 1 package of ox tails (found at your local super market)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions/scallions

First you start off by prepping the meat. Soak the ox tails in cold water for about an hour, then drain. Clean it off by cutting all the extra fat around the outside. But don't go too crazy, we like fat since fat = flavor!

Then bring a large pot to boil and add in the ox tails, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Sit and let boil for anywhere from five to 12 hours. The longer you let it simmer, the more flavorful your broth will be. Skim off the foam and fat every few hours like so:

You may want to pour in an extra cup of water or two when you see your stock reducing. Once it's done you can also add in chopped scaillions or green onions. To make it a bit heartier, I also decided to include dang myun (Korean noodles made out of sweet potato starch), but you can easily substitute somyun as well (wheat flour noodles). Or just simply enjoy it with rice!

I was too impatient (and famished) so I fixed myself a bowl after about four hours and let the soup continue on low heat for a few more hours. Yum!

You can tell the broth isn't as white-ish in color as it should be, but it was still delish! Half way through:

The great thing about cooking in large quantities is that you can keep it in your fridge/freezer and have it again a few days later! This makes around 5-8 servings and is best enjoyed with a side of ripe kimchee.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is great. Your cooking is so inspiring and so easy to follow. I'm definitely gonna try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete